Bunker Hill Covered Bridge

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
Loading...

Thursday – Saturday: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday: 1:30 PM- 4:30 PM

For inquiries, please call: 828.465.0383
The bridge is located two miles east of Claremont on Hwy. 70

Designated as a National Civil Engineering Landmark in 2001, the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge is the only remaining example in wood of the Improved Lattice Truss patented by General Herman Haupt. It joins the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Dorton Arena in representing North Carolina on this prestigious list.

One of only two original remaining covered bridges in North Carolina, the other being Mt. Pisgah in Randolph County, the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge was built in 1895 by Andy L. Ramsour. Catawba County Commissioners in 1894 had called on nearby owners of Bunker Hill Farm to build and maintain a bridge that would cross Lyle’s Creek on the old Island Ford Road, a former Native American trail. The landowners hired Ramsour, keeper of the Horseford covered bridge that spanned the Catawba River north of Hickory. He likely found Haupt’s design in a popular book on bridge building.

Originally constructed as an open span, the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge, whose roof is ninety-one feet long, was covered in 1900. In 1921 its wooden shingles were replaced with a tin roof. (Bridges were covered to protect their timbers from the elements; travelers enjoyed a reprieve from rain and snow only as a consequence.) Bolick Family members donated the bridge in 1985 to the Catawba County Historical Association, which restored it in 1994 with the expertise of Arnold M. Graton, a master bridgewright from Ashland, New Hampshire.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.